Here at 4Change Energy, our goal is to provide an exceptional electricity plan and furthermore, help our customers pay less per month! So, what happens when you notice your energy bill is higher than normal? Did your rate change or did your provider raise prices? If you’re worried you’re paying more than you should, give 4Change Energy a call and we can take a magnifying glass to your account and be sure everything is on track. To avoid a fluctuating bill, here on the Wire blog we’re offering tips to manage your usage and better understand how your bill can change month to month!
When you sign up for an energy plan with 4Change Energy, you can rest assured that your rate doesn’t change during your contract term. Still, every so often your bill might be higher than expected. Here are a few reasons why your energy bill might be higher than you expect!
1) Check and Track Your Home’s Meter
- Every home, apartment, condo or beach front mansion has a utility meter attached to it. It’s a handy tool your TDU installs to monitor the electricity flowing to your home. 4Change Energy receives your monthly usage from your TDU and charges accordingly.
- If you feel as though your usage is higher than normal, we recommend calling your TDU and requesting a meter re-read. Be sure to visit SmartMeterTexas.com for more information.
2) Seasonal Temperature Changes
- Texas is a strange place when it comes to weather. 80 degrees one day, then snow the next. Some days you’ll run your heater in the morning and A/C in the afternoon! When you set your thermostat to 74 degrees, it takes more energy and your unit works overtime when it needs to warm the house on a 55-degree day.
- Install a smart thermostat to adjust according to exterior temperatures and be sure to set your desired temperature as close to the exterior temperature as comfortably as possible. An ideal Winter setting is 68 degrees while in Summer, adjust as close to 78 degrees as possible.
3) Appliance Failures or Outdated Equipment
- Air conditioners, water heaters, refrigerators, ovens and laundry machines are all high dollar appliances you wish to never break. But even running equipment that seems to be working can draw extra electricity.
- Replace older units with Energy Star certified appliances. Be sure you’re actively cleaning refrigerator coils and replacing door seals. A refrigerator working overtime to cool your foods can quickly add up on your electricity bill.
- Adjust your water heater to a lower temperature to help save when washing your clothes and dishes. It also alleviates the cost of baths and showers.
4) Call an Electrician to Check for Leaking Current
- A live wire or leaking current through an outlet or breaker box can cause spikes in electricity usage. It’s also very dangerous!
- Never attempt to fix electricity components in your home. Call an electrician to check your equipment so that everything is running correctly.
- Have bi-annual HVAC checks to be sure everything is running optimally in your home.
Have you ever experienced a higher than normal bill? What was your solution for remedying the situation? Customers at 4Change Energy already enjoy saving each month with a low rate. See how we can power your home with affordable electricity and find your rate!
Jackson is a digital film and video production/social media specialist that not only enjoys those roles as a job but as a hobby as well. In his free time Jackson creates videos for his YouTube channel about his passions in auto culture.