It’s the turn of the season and that means it’s time to get your home and HVAC in tip top shape! Here’s your fall cleaning checklist and tips on how to maximize your electricity savings through the end of the year.
Fall Cleaning Checklist
- Clean and store outdoor furniture
- Service and store gardening equipment
- Clean gutters and downspouts
- Winterize outdoor pools and water features
- Wash exterior and indoor windows
- Complete an outdoor home inspection
- Sweep and inspect chimneys and fireplaces
- Change smoke detector batteries
- Clean or replace HVAC filters
- Clean and reverse ceiling fans
- Deep-clean inside the house (bedroom, bathroom, living room, and kitchen)
- Store summer clothes and inspect winter wardrobes
You may have noticed a few energy related steps above, so let’s dig a little deeper into that.
One of the cheapest and most important steps in saving energy is replacing your HVAC filter. You can learn more about the different types of filters here. Clogged or inefficient filters block air from moving freely through your system, causing your HVAC unit to run longer and harder. It also leaves fall allergens in the air, creating an uncomfortable atmosphere throughout your home.
Reversing your ceiling fan makes a big difference in how a room feels. Reversing your fan, to a clockwise direction, creates a gentle updraft, recirculating heat down to warm things up when needed. Switch your fan off when you leave the room though, as fans warm/cool people, not spaces.
With 4Change Energy, you can rest assured your plan and price is helping you save year-round! Looking for more energy saving tips? Check out our resource page here.
Jackson is a digital film and video production/social media specialist that not only enjoys those roles as a job but as a hobby as well. In his free time Jackson creates videos for his YouTube channel about his passions in auto culture.